Coast Guard rescues five people after fishing boat sinks off Oregon coast | News


The Coast Guard rescued five people from a life raft late Monday, Nov. 15, after a fishing boat sank about 20 miles off the mouth of the Umpqua River.

The captain aboard the 67-foot fishing vessel Desire, based in Neah Bay, Wash., used a marine-band VHF-FM radio to hail Coast Guard Sector North Bend lookouts around 9 p.m. on Monday, November 15 and report their vessel was taking on water. He also reported that the five people on board were preparing to abandon ship in a life raft.

Additionally, the beacon indicating Desire’s recorded emergency position was activated by contact with the water and the vessel’s location and owner information was relayed to Coast Guard lookouts at the 13th District Command Center in Seattle.

Rescue helicopter crews from Coast Guard Air Installation Newport and Coast Guard Air Station North Bend, and 47-foot motor lifeboat crews from Coast Guard stations in Siuslaw River and Umpqua River have deployed to help those in distress.

Once there at around 9:30 p.m., the helicopter crews located the survivors in the life raft and deployed rescue swimmers to assist in the hoisting of the survivors.

The Newport helicopter crew rescued three survivors and the North Bend helicopter crew rescued two survivors. Station crews remained on site to assist as needed.

“The crew of the fishing boat were all in survival suits, properly deployed their life raft and fired two flares to help us locate them,” base helicopter pilot Lt. Conor Regan said. North Bend Coast Guard Air Force. “Their overall preparation serves as an example for other sailors, as it was fundamental to the successful outcome of their life-threatening situation.

Additionally, Regan added that the transmission of information by the EPIRB allowed observers to corroborate the details of the staccato radio distress call and expedite rescue coordination.

After successful lifts of all five people from the life raft, the survivors were taken to Air Station North Bend where their care was transferred to standby emergency services personnel.

No serious injuries are to be deplored.


Comments are closed.