Coast Guard Rescues Five After Sinking Fishing Boat Off Oregon Coast | News


The Coast Guard rescued five people from a life raft late Monday, November 15, after a fishing boat sank about 20 miles off the mouth of the Umpqua River.

The captain aboard the 67-foot fishing vessel Desire, whose home port is in Neah Bay, Wash., Used a VHF-FM marine band radio to hail the Coast Guard sector watchmen in North Bend towards 9 p.m. on Monday, November 15 and report their ship was taking on water. He also reported that the five people on board were preparing to abandon the ship in a life raft.

In addition, Desire’s recorded emergency position indicating that the beacon was activated by contact with water and the location of the vessel and owner information was passed to the Coast Guard at the 13th District Command Center in Seattle. .

Rescue helicopter crews from Coast Guard Air Facilities in Newport and Coast Guard Air Station in North Bend, and crews of 47ft Motor Rescue Boats from Coast Guard Stations Siuslaw River and Umpqua River are deployed to help those in distress.

Upon arrival at around 9:30 p.m., helicopter crews located the survivors in the life raft and deployed lifeguard swimmers to aid in hoisting the survivors.

The Newport helicopter crew rescued three survivors and the North Bend helicopter crew rescued two survivors. The station crews remained on site to provide assistance as needed.

“The crew of the fishing boat all had survival suits, correctly deployed their life raft and fired two flares to help us locate them,” said Lt. Conor Regan, base helicopter pilot. Coast Guard Air Force at North Bend. “Their overall preparation serves as an example for other sailors, as it was fundamental to the positive outcome of their potentially fatal situation.

In addition, Regan added that the transmission of information by the EPIRB allowed the watchmen to corroborate the details of the choppy radio distress call and to speed up the coordination of the rescue.

After the successful hoisting of five people from the liferaft, the survivors were taken to North Bend Air Station where their care was transferred to standby emergency services personnel.

No serious injuries are to be deplored.

Source link


Comments are closed.